The average increase in the nation’s energy needs from 2022–2023 to 2023–2024 is predicted to be 4.9%. The predicted increase in the State of Rajasthan’s energy needs between 2023 and 2024 compared to the actual increase between 2022 and 2023 is 5%.
High demand has been predicted for the months of April and May 2023. The peak demand, for the current year 2023–2024 is predicted to reach 229 GW during the summer. To address the rising demand for power, the following actions have been taken:
- To guarantee the availability of the generation capacity, steps have been taken. The generators have been instructed to finish up any plant maintenance well in advance of the time of peak demand.
- During the peak demand period, no planned maintenance will be performed (say April & May 2023).
- As much as practicable, the production and dispatch of coal should be increased by regular monitoring and coordination with the Ministries of Coal and Railways.
- To ensure that the plant has an adequate supply of coal, all power generators have been requested to import the necessary coal on time for blending purposes.
- To complement the coal supply from domestic coal companies, it has been requested that all captive coal blocks increase coal production (CIL and SCCL).
- During peak energy demand months, additional gas arrangements from GAIL have been scheduled to run gas-powered stations.
- Imported Coal Based (ICB) facilities have been given legal instructions to stock coal and produce electricity during times of high demand.
(Information sourced from the Press Information Bureau)